Well, it's nearly Xmas now, and today was my last day at Becker's for this year.
It's been a roller coaster ride for 3 months, although it certainly doesn't seem that long.
The first 2 weeks comprised 10+ hours of flying to acclimatise and help understand the upcoming theory lessons.
The next 3 weeks were Navigation and Power/Performance theory and their associated exams. Passed.
Then a week of jittery flying, about 3+ hours. Attempting to hover.
Another 3 weeks of Aerodynamics and Aircraft General Knowledge and exams, which I also somehow passed.
A week of flying, 3 or so hours, absolutely convinced I will hit the ground like a dart.
3 weeks of Air Law, and Meteorology, and 2 nervously passed exams.
This last week comprised a comprehensive hangover, celebrating theory completion, and another 3 to 4 hours of flight, where my instructor thought I might be ready to experience and practice engine failures from a thousand feet above the Sunshine Coast Airfield. Well, I guess Emergency Services wouldn't have far to go to tidy up the messy stain, should it all go wrong.... The descent of 1400 feet per minute does take a little getting used to, but believe it or not, one does desensitize.
So, 21 hours on,(and apparently will solo soon, which will have it's own level of apprehension) I have been cheerfully told by my instructors it'll probably take around 600 or so, before I may indeed feel comfortable in this alien world.
Everyday is a challenge, whether it be fears, or ability, therefore
the rewards are most fulfilling.
No comments:
Post a Comment