Tuesday, 17 April 2012

Happy Easter

A slightly belated happy easter to everyone for last weekend.  Luckily for me, I had time to line up Easter Bunny's chocky shopping after I had started recovering from the dreaded lurgy.  I was leaving it as late as possible because the weather had been quite warm and I was worried that easter eggs would end up melted or just white from being exposed to warm weather.  Refridgeration was out of the question because our fridge barely fits a week's worth of food let alone chocky delights.  The camp kitchen fridge, which I have used in the past for emergencies was definitely not going to happen as it is accessible to guests who use the camp kitchen.  Imagine trying to make easter eggs inconspicuous so as not to draw unwanted attention.
Anyway, I had an opportunity to leave the girls with Steve on a Sunday and rush down to Nambour on behalf of Easter Bunny.  It was my last chance as Erin was now on school holidays so my 'me' time was coming to an end for the next fortnight.
Twas the night before Easter and all through the van, not a space was left unchocolatised, not even the man.  Steve laid in bed (after the girls had finally nodded off) surrounded by chocolate eggs of all sizes while I flitted and fussed about 'what' to put 'where' for the big easter egg hunt in the morning.  I would have liked to have put some eggs outside the annex so that the girls could look further afield but the chances of a cane toad sitting on an egg or a possum making off with one or a bush rat knawing on one was too great a risk.  The caravan park was actually as packed as it was at Christmas because lots of Brisbanites come up here for some R & R over Easter because it's not too far away.  It's like going down to Victor Harbour from Adelaide I suppose.  Steve was disgusted with the amount of chocolate I had bought but to be honest, it was a lot of small eggs which I could put into little nooks and crannys and stretch out the hunt experience.  I also had to remember to hide everything at bench height or lower because obviously neither Erin nor Becca could see over a couple of feet.  To be honest I don't know what Steve was complaining about because he was gonna get any left overs anyway although, as we soon discovered, not from Becca.
As per usual, Erin was first on the scene in the morning followed closely by Becca.  Easter Bunny had left, on the kitchen table, an easter egg collecting box with handle and a few treats inside to get them started.  They both hunted around but I had to get Becca to pick some up for herself as Erin was going around like a vacuum cleaner.  Thankfully, Erin did share some of her finds with Becca and so they ended up with plenty in their boxes and were both satisfied that they had enough at the end.  I also had to remember where some of the chockies were hidden.  For example there was a rabbit in my front loader washing machine.  Not a good idea to forget where that one was otherwise washing would come out dirtier than when it went in.  There are two thoughts regarding the consumption of easter eggs.  I tend to lean towards giving the girls an opportunity to have a few eggs each day spread out over a week or so.  Someone else told me that it's better to just let them scoff themselves silly so that they are consumed quicker.  Well by mid morning, we were leaning towards the scoffing option with both girls getting stuck into their booty. 
Becca shows herself to be a true chocaholic by eating constantly unless I keep her in check.  Over the last week or so, there has been many a time that I have caught her on a stool reaching for her stash which I had to put into a plastic container because she unwrapped every piece of chocky, took a bite and then went onto the next one.  On one occasion, when she was being unusually quiet, (a bad sign with Becca) I found her laying on the kitchen lounge with unwrapped chocolate and foil wrappers all over the table and a messy grin.  Most of her booty is now gone and I asked Erin to put her box up on her bed because Becca was delving into whatever was closest at hand.  The other day, however, during another quiet moment, Becca had climbed up the ladder into Erin's bed and was sneaking herself a treat or two.  When it comes to chocolate, she is deceiving to say the least.  She must take after her aunty who has been known to do the same.  Erin tends to be a little more paced with her chocolate eating, having one or two now and then which tends to be more like me.
Oh well, they both really enjoyed their first easter in the caravan as we all did and the somewhat more confined space for easter egg hunting actually turned out to be a good thing.  Both girls are pretty good egg hunters because we didn't find any extras in the days after Sunday and it's good to see the family chocaholic gene lives on in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment