Sunday, 13 May 2012

CPL(H)

Well, finally it's happened, 9 months of hard labour, sheer terror, anxiety, self doubt and cravings (well, not really any cravings),and some moments of exhilaration. As of Friday the 11th of May, Mr Becker kindly deemed me fit to hold a Commercial Pilot's Licence(Helicopters). Which surprised me, as I wasn't too sure I was fit....
It has been quite a journey, made possible by many, many patient instructors (Jimmy, Rob, Niels, Chris, Dom, and Fergus) who have all had to endure hard labour, sheer terror, anxiety...
while encouraging me to do what they asked in their own individual persuasive ways.
  Elementary handling: learning to fly in a straight line at a 'predetermined' height, and, flying round corners at same 'predetermined' height, without feeling like one is going to fall out the open door.....
  Hovering: from the size of a football field, to a basketball court, to finally a 'stationary' hover from which you can take off and land from,
  Solo-ing: taking off, thinking "gee this feels light", then noticing out of the corner of one's eye, that there is no one sitting next to you and 'shitting' oneself... triple checking guages, height, airspace around around you thinking, "gee I hope nothing goes wrong"
  Navigation: continually turning the map around, and it still doesn't help,(while, see 'Elementary handling')and maybe trying to avoid some of the cloud and thinking, "gee I hope nothing goes wrong",
  Emergencies: Engine failure from 1500 feet, 1000 feet, maybe even 500 feet, straight in, s turn, 360 degrees, Engine failure at the hover, Engine failure while taxiing, Jammed controls, spinning round and round etc, thinking, "gee I hope nothing goes wrong",
  Low flying, good fun if one can avoid making oneself nauseous, and avoid startled waterbirds, ibis, pelicans and the like,
  Flying amongst mountains, up valleys, pinnacle approaches, confined areas, and limited power takeoffs and landings, all awesome stuff that can really only be done with a helicopter.
Now that I actually have my licence, I am really looking forwards to honing(all right, maybe just getting) some skills in this remarkable environment.
So thanks again Fergus, and his fine band of men, for imparting such wisdom and knowledge gained over many years, and thankyou my family for all your support (moral and otherwise) during this wacky adventure.
Next week will be a graduation input.


No comments:

Post a Comment