Sunday, 22 July 2012

Upside down

Hi Blog followers, I thought I had better put a little effort in and make a post while Andrea is recuperating.(and because her recall is a little sketchy as she was asleep during the majority of the incident) Over 3 weeks ago now, Friday 29/06/12 (I remember this as I had to repeat it ad nauseum to the ambulance and hospital staff monitoring 'brain' injuries....)we had a little hiccup in the arseoel odyssey, turning our life temporarily literally upside down. We left Yeppoon that morning, after 3 days of reminiscing about my hometown upbringing. We had Airlie Beach in our sights as our Monteville friends had given us a destination to park at for a couple of days on an airstrip, where I may have been able to touch and admire a helicopter or two. However, it was 3.40 in the afternoon and consensus was that refueling and a caravan park in Mackay would be the limit to the day's challenge. We were about 20 something ks south of Mackay, and we had just ploughed through our 10 to the 6th pothole, when suddenly bang, and the right hand rear of the car dropped, skewing the car around to the right, into the oncoming lane (around Mackay the road is bloody busy that time of Arvo), and once I had corrected this undesirable attitude,there wasn't much time left but to accept the direction we had taken, and as we were in a right hand corner at the time, it turned out we were sailing off a 5 metre embankment straight ahead. I think time then stood still for both Andrea and myself, before we were tossed around as the car rolled over a few times. The car finally came to rest on the drivers side, it was still idling(I turned the key off)and I yelled for Andrea if she was ok over and over. No response, I unbuckled my seatbelt, and started to try crawl out of my window, thinking fire, and I had to get everyone out. As I got myself well and truly wedged in the 10" gap between my roof and the ground, I heard people singing out to us, and noticed Andrea moving her legs. Imagine my relief. Turned out that the paramedics had been following 5 cars back, and had watched the saga unfold. Unreal to them, as they always only see the end result. Andrea was in a lot of pain in her shoulder, so they were able to administer morphine immediately. Our girls and cats had been lifted free almost immediately, and it was reassuring to know they were all ok and had survived while Andrea and I were trapped in our inescapable positions. Another 30/40 minutes and the firies arrived to cut us free. I was underneath wedged in my window frame, with our 30l centre console fridge on top, and Andrea laying on top of that, hanging from her seatbelt. Once they raised the roof enough to remove her(on a board), I could hand the fridge up, and then climb out under my own steam.A rigorous check over for broken bones, then onto a stretcher and neck brace for us both, and into the ambulance. A quick glance at the highway, and to my dismay, traffic parked up for kilometres each way. Apparently, we had the Bruce highway blocked for quite a while.

1 comment:

  1. Now that our Dear Friends are well, especially our Sweet Andrea, we again wish you all the best for your continued journey to Ingham. Now get in that car and get your butts there "safely" this time, no more stunts, OK! Love and miss you guys. Hugs, the Kelly Gang.

    ReplyDelete