Size was another interesting factor. Some toads we have seen around our caravan park have been of a size which we rarely saw in Kununurra. There are some monstrous examples of 'dinner plate' sized toads but the numbers of toads visible around the area are less than what we saw in Kununurra. At night, if we walked around the caravan park in Kununurra, toads would be moving around and be quite visible but smaller in size. In Katherine we see less toads in general but their sizes are markedly bigger.
![]() |
| Little frog on a 2kg gas bottle |
![]() |
| Our toilet frog on a towel rail |
![]() |
| Our gazebo insect catcher |
Here in Katherine however, we have discovered a new ant to cohabit with. Ginger ants (or the tropical fire ant) are tiny little brown ants which have become quite hard to live with since we arrived on our site. Whenever we have stayed in the cabins at Knotts Crossing in the past, there have been signs placed in the cabins asking guests to put all food in the fridge or in airtight containers to prevent ginger ants contaminating food. Now I understand what they meant. My pantry has become a little treasure trove for these annoying pests. In the past, I have put any half opened packets into a sealable glad bag to stop ants and keep the food reasonably fresh. Potato chips, biscuits, coconut and sugar products kept fairly well in these bags until I had room in my containers. I have only a limited amount of space for plastic containers to hold food so sometimes the bags were the best alternative. Ginger ants are the 'houdinis' of the ant world and have managed to breach my sealed bags and spoil the food inside. Now I will have to use airtight containers to store items I never really had to separate before. This means that the jigsaw puzzle that is my pantry will go to a whole new level.
I had another rather unpleasant experience recently with ginger ants which I wasn't expecting. I grabbed my towel after a shower and started to dry off before feeling like acid was burning my skin. When I looked in the mirror, I was covered in ginger ants which were on my towel. They had been attracted to something on my towel and were lurking in the pile so I didn't see them. I brushed them off quickly but then came up in huge lumps where they had bitten me. My neck, face and under my arms were red, itchy lumps within minutes and today I am covered with noticeable bites. Not only is this annoying little ant a human food scavenger but it seems to have a nasty bite which causes a severe reaction. I can only imagine that there must have been something sweet like toothpaste on my towel which attracted them but the experience was not nice. I'm just grateful that they weren't on the girls towels when they used them after showering because it would have been nasty for them. So it has become apparent to me that size definitely does not mean savagery in the ant world. Small and mighty seems to be more appropriate in this case with the tiny ginger ant being far more nasty in bite and habits than the green ant. It's going to be a continual war with these little critters I'm sure until we can find some way to live together without them annoying me or causing harm.
![]() |
| Mean green prickly critter |
![]() |
| Not a grasshopper but a large dive bomber nonetheless |
Speaking of reptiles, we have not seen many lizards at all since settling here but Steve did come across an 8 foot brown snake one night just outside the park's boundary fence while walking the dog. It had a girth of about 10 cm in diameter and it wasn't a python. It was laying across the grass path outside the fence in the pitch darkness. It was lucky that Steve was carrying a torch so he skirted around the large critter especially making sure that the dog didn't attempt to investigate. The snake wasn't interested in moving either. Steve said that Brindle didn't appear to be overly interested in it which was lucky. This experience just demonstrates that snakes are likely to be out at night in the tropics because it is still warm enough for them to be active.
The birdlife doesn't seem to be as prolific around our site in Katherine but then we were living near a national park in Kununurra so that's a no brainer really. We are lucky enough though to have a nice outlook again from our site in Katherine. Over the back fence of the caravan park is a massive open space which was once Katherine's airstrip. From 1945 to 1975 air traffic landed behind our site and the once busy terminal is now the site of the towns' aviation museum. All air traffic shifted to Tindal Air Force base when that was established in the 70's. Having a great open space behind us allows us the opportunity to watch a different bird which we regularly heard but seldom saw in Kununurra. The rainbird or pheasant coucal flits around in the long grass during the morning and evenings calling the rain. It isn't a very good flyer because it has a very long tail but can fly in short bursts between low trees and shrubs. It is reputed to bring rain when it calls which sometimes feels true but it's not consistent. Little finches and wrens perch in the boundary fence wire at the back of our site and parrots frequent the trees around the caravan park. The greater bowerbird also can be seen and heard around the park although I haven't found a bower yet. I think it would probably be on the ground of the open space over the fence. I did however find a very interestingly placed bower on a recent drive out to Edith Falls national park where a bowerbird had built his bower under a picnic bench.
![]() |
| A clever Edith Falls NP bowerbird |
![]() |
| No shortage of macropods |
Perhaps our most fascinating encounter with wildlife since arriving in Katherine has been with fireflies. We took the dog for a walk one Friday night after dark and did a circuit down the airstrip and across Gorge road then behind the cemetery and hospital. There was no lighting on this path and the lightning was the only light flashing around us from a distant storm. As we walked along I noticed what looked like escaping embers from a fire. Our walking along the path was disturbing the fireflies and sending them flying into the air and glowing as they went. Neither myself or the girls had ever seen them before and it was fantastic to watch these little glows of light flitting around us as we walked. Becca decided that they were little 'Tinkerbells' flying around us. Again we have experienced some new wildlife but also seen the usual suspects of the tropics but with different antics and habits as compared to our last home in Kununurra. Let it continue.







All of the creature sightings sound amazing, even if occasionally a tad scary. I absolutely adore that you have fireflies! How magical :)
ReplyDelete