Steve and I took Erin to the pool on Sunday afternoon. Becca came as well but she is less keen on the water and I have to go in with her and it was too bloody cold for me at 28 degrees C. I think I'm already turning into a Queenslander.
When we got there, a group of young people were already in the pool and being raucous and dunking each other etc. Erin had her floaties on and got in the shallow end to swim. Over the course of half an hour, the other group (mostly teens) increased until there were about 10 people in the pool including the father.
Their roudiness was building and their rough play was getting worse as Erin tried to dodge bodies and splashes while trying to swim herself. I said to Steve that the father had better get his kids under control or I will. I have made rash comments like that before in other situations but never followed through. Well.......today that changed. After several more minutes, I jumped out of my chair, stormed down the shallow end of the pool and went right off at the father and his kids. Initially they couldn't even hear me over their yelling. I can't even remember exactly what I said but something to the tune of "Ay Ay...time out and then a rant about littlies being in the pool and that they should pull their heads in.
I went back to my chair still shaking from the adrenalin and the whole pool went quiet. Everyone sat in the pool around the edge and it was calm for ages. They got a little roudy again later but nowhere near as bad as before. I wasn't trying to stop the fun but just curb the stupidity. Erin's safety was at risk so I had to do something and better me than Steve because his spit would have been worse and maybe they listened more to a mother. Anyway, I probably got called that crazy bitch later but at the time, I didn't care and I really surprised myself with my reaction. It must be the Gemini coming out in me.
No comments:
Post a Comment