Today was the race that stops a nation and for the first time in six years, there was no Melbourne Cup lunch to go to but I still managed to watch the race although without the same atmosphere I usually encounter. The Mapleton Tavern had a lunch organised at $45pp (just a bit out of my budget) and our caravan park owners who put on a spread last year decided this year to go and see the real thing. Apart from that, most of the mum's weren't really into it except one whose sister used to train racehorses so she watched it too.
I did my usual trip to Nambour this morning to do the shopping with Rebecca (who is becoming a better shopper as each week goes by) and turned the tv on when we got home. Rebecca fell asleep on the way home and transferred nicely into her bed so it was peaceful packing away the shopping.
When she woke up we sat down to a lunch time feast of baked beans for Rebecca and yoghurt for me after which we watched the race. I didn't have a horse picked. I didn't even know most of the field when they raced but it was still exciting to watch. Before the race I was watching the telecast because Anna, one of our caravan park managers had shown me the dress she was wearing to Flemington so I said I would look out for her on the tv. On my way to school to pick Erin up, I walked past the Mapleton Tavern just in time to watch two elderly ladies dressed in their finery and black dress hats drive out the carpark in a light blue Kingswood ute! I had to have a chuckle to myself as the driver chugged down the road changing the column shift without the delicacy befitting their attire. They appeared to have come from a property around the area and I loved their choice of transport to the Melbourne Cup lunch. Anyway that's the race for another year and who knows where we will be next year when the race that stops a nation rolls around again.
No comments:
Post a Comment