Thursday, 1 March 2012

Wacky Wednesday Part 1

Wednesday mornings are pretty busy as I try to get the girls and myself organised early so that we can be at school right on 8.30 because I help with reading.  Unlike Erin's class in Adelaide, her class here enlists several parents to listen to the kids read between 8.30 and 9 which is before classes start.  This works well because parents are not pulling kids away during class time to hear them read.
After reading, I take Becca up to the Mapleton Hall for playgroup.  It's only a short walk up the road from the school but I'm usually a bit late because I only leave the school on or after 9am.  Playgroup was great for Becca as usual until after pack up time.  Everything had been put away and the mums' were standing around talking before going their separate ways when Becca had a tumble.  There are two concrete steps leading up into the kitchen area of the hall with a metal handrail.  Becca was swinging off the handrail when she suddenly lost her grip and hit the ground.  As I lifted her up, there was blood all over her mouth and face and she was crying.
Mums came at me from all directions with paper towels and a cold pack to help stop the bleeding.  No doubt about it, when it comes to heads or faces, they bleed a lot.  All Becca wanted to do, however, was snuggle and bleed onto my shoulder.  Eventually it stopped but she wasn't keen on letting me or anyone see what damage had been done.  Once she had settled, I thought it best to head for home quickly.  People offered rides for us both but I thought the walk would help her to settle down.  She had no trouble polishing off the vegemite sandwich and strawberry and apple pieces I gave her as we walked so I was slightly relieved that it couldn't have been too bad.
Of course, I had to walk home through the main village because the lilyponds were still too boggy after the weekends rain.  It was a very hasty walk because both Becca and I looked like the walking wounded.  First we walked past a woman with kids in a pram and then past two elderly ladies sitting with their maltese terrier dogs.  It was a friendly but brief hello as I powered through main street Mapleton to get home.  I don't know what people must have thought because I wasn't really looking.
When we got home, I could see that she had put her tooth through her bottom lip so she has a little cut under her lip.  All clothing was quickly removed, stain treated and thrown straight in the wash.  In hindsight, I wished that I hadn't put the new outfit on Becca which I had picked up off the clearance rack at Target.  Luckily it was the right colour to not show up the blood too much.  It's like Murphy's Law about the buttered bread landing face down when you drop it.  The chances of your child having a bleeding incident are directly proportional to the newness of the clothes they are wearing.
Anyway Becca ate dinner that night without any problems but I had to give her some panadol because she was uncomfortable and sore at bedtime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment