Friday, 14 October 2011

Immunisations

Well this is novel.....a daytime blog rather than the 'up until midnight' blog.  I can't blame anyone but myself for my timing and surprisingly, I don't think my writing is all that bad when I'm tired but today I'll be a little different.
Rebecca is having a sleep after having her immunisations this morning.  When I left home to take Erin to school, it wasn't on my agenda but then when things present themselves you have to go with the flow.  It's turned out better anyway because if she is unsettled tonight, at least nobody has to get up early tomorrow for training or school.
I had asked the local mums' about immunisation and they've all said just go to the local GP, however one mum said the last time she visited, they weren't taking on any new patients.   Ok, so I thought I'd get on the local council website first and see what their immunisation program schedule was and then go from there.  When I delved into the website, I discovered there is NO immunisation program with local councils in Queensland........it said 'see your local GP'.  So....
before leaving for school this morning, I put my purse, reading glasses and Rebecca's immunisation schedule (luckily had been sent recently) into the pram so I could drop into the Mapleton Medical Centre on my way home and see if I could at least make an appointment - if that was possible.
When I arrived and made my enquiries, the receptionist said that the doctor who was seeing new patients was in this morning and would I like to get it done immediately.  Fantastic, I thought (although I felt bad when I looked at Rebecca's happy, cheeky face because I knew she wasn't gonna be happy).  I filled out the usual information sheet and sat down to wait.  The waiting room even had toys to keep little people amused.....except Rebecca.  She found it better to run around the centre island of chairs and talk to the little old ladies waiting in there with us.  All those tantalisingly recent women's magazines were just a distant dream as I chased her around trying to keep her out of everyone's hair.
Not long after, we were called.  The 'new patient' doctor, Dr Steve Whiting, was a tall, young (I could say 'strapping' but that might not be appropriate from a mother with children) and very likeable person who asked all the questions you'd expect a doctor to ask of a new patient.  He gave Rebecca a sticker of her choice and then directed us to the treatment room waiting room (yes, the treatment room had its own waiting area with seats and magazines).  In fact, the whole surgery was really nice, modern with plenty of consult rooms off the long corridor and several nurses rooms as well.
Soon, a friendly nurse came in and we discussed Rebecca's immunisations.  She took some measurements first (weight, height and head circumference) and showed me her chart on the computer.  That took some time because there was a brown out (as opposed to a blackout) so the computers had to be rebooted.  This is evidently a regular occurrence during the wet season with the storms so everyone is used to it.  I had decided to get the new pneumococcal vaccine for her as well because she was eligible for it and worth killing two birds with one stone.  I am not clever at spelling 'pneumococcal', I have cheated because the paperwork is sitting in front of me here.
Fairly quickly, it was done (one in each arm - individually too) but the nurse got me to hold Rebeccca in a particular way so she wouldn't struggle too much so we were able to get it done efficiently without dramas.  Two big bandaids now adorn her arms, one tigger and one pooh bear (Erin will be jealous).  I went to the IGA on the way home and bought her a chocky frog (amongst other things) for being so brave.  By the time we had walked home, the chocky frog was devoured, her white t-shirt was brown and she was asleep.  Now, she is awake again and that's the end of my quiet time for blogging.  She's happy so that's good but we'll keep an eye on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment