Thursday, 6 October 2011

Shopping nightmare!

Went down the hill on Tuesday (translation - going to Nambour) to do the weekly shopping minus Erin for obvious reasons.  I was feeling ok about it because the disruption of an older sister wasn't a factor today.  Mmmm..........how wrong I was.  Rebecca did her usual thing and fell asleep on the way down which normally wouldn't be a problem except the 20 minutes to get from A to B just isn't enough for her.
I decided to let her sleep and not disturb her so went and fuelled the car and then sat in the underground carpark waiting for her to wake up.  It was not a comfortable experience.    It's hard to look innocent sitting in a car by yourself instead of looking like I'm waiting to hijack someone as they come out with their shopping.  That's apart from the weird and wonderful conversations that were going on around me both in person and by phone which I couldn't help but overhear.  I could have wound my window up but it was pretty warm on this day.
Finally when she woke up, we went upstairs.  She was good through the fruit and veg section and then it changed.  Games like "give me your list or your pen mum and I will throw it on the floor for you to pick up" wore thin after a while. When I refused to play anymore the high pitched squeal came out.  What didn't help my situation was Rebecca's damaged face due to her fall in the annex.  Everybody was looking at me like I was some kind of monster who obviously is rough with the kids judging by my daughter's face.  Supermarket employees were making passing comments on her demeanour and face ,in a nice way of course, but I still felt uncomfortable about it all. 
Pretty soon the treats came out.  Honestly it's like training a small dog for good behaviour.  I'd give Becca a bicky and she'd be fine until it was finished and then she'd start acting up again.  The reverse psychology of getting a reward for behaving just wasn't working today.  I spent 5 minutes in the pet food isle because she noticed a picture of a dog on the floor (advertising) and was happy to look at it and say "doggy" for a while.
I can't believe how much she has changed since we left Adelaide.  I never had the same trouble with her then and she was happy to sit in the seat and watch the world go by.  There was even speculation among female family members that she may actually be a good shopper but no...not now.  So from now on I will develop a nervous tick every time Tuesday comes around and hope that Rebecca will be better on that day compared to the last.  I can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment