

On Tuesday, I did my usual thing after school drop-off in the morning and put the lizards outside for some UV in an enclosure Steve made from one of our roof racks. It is covered with cat netting to stop them from escaping but enabling them to get sunlight and air. I then went shopping and returned about 2 hours later, checking them as I unloaded the car. Becca had fallen asleep on the way home and so I transferred her into her bed and unpacked the shopping. The day was quite humid and had become overcast and stormy but I left the lizards outside for a while longer. As I sat eating my lunch, the thunder rumbles started getting louder and closer so I decided to go and get my washing off the line.I walked out of the annex door and was amazed to see a huge lace monitor sitting on top of the lizard cage. It was eyeing off Barry and Matilda as a tasty morsel for lunch. I quickly shooed it off the cage (from a distance of course) and it went under the car which was parked nearby. The hair on the back of my neck stood on end because I wasn't sure how this thing was going to react to my vigorous arm waving and I certainly didn't want it running at me. I rescued my two terrified smaller lizards and then raced inside to get my camera. This lizard wasn't overly scared of me and seemed to wait under the car in the hope that I would go away. After having a camera shoved in its face for several minutes, however, it moved away towards the fence and off our site.
I asked several of the long term residents in the caravan park if they had ever seen these big lizards around before and they agreed that they hadn't seen one. I shouldn't be surprised though because we are close to the national park. Unfortunately for Barry and Matilda, they are confined to their tank for a while because it's possible the lizard will come back knowing there is food around. Barry has skin off around his eyes and under his chin from frantic rubbing against the netting in an attempt to get away and I thought Matilda was dead initially because she had squeezed herself into the furthest corner away from the lace monitor. Better to have a few wounds than be a meal.
No comments:
Post a Comment